Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The God that Crawls

So no surprise, I received both the Monolith Beyond Space and Time and The God That Crawls from IndieGoGo so both are being reviewed.  The first thing I can say about the God That Crawls is I'll be avoiding any real spoilers about it because I can immediately tell I will in fact be using this or something very similar to this with the serial numbers filed off.  Very very few things other people wrote ever fit into this category.  I'll use great concepts,  but actual game content is something very rare for me to want to use.  Seeing as people I game with read this, I'll also have to be fairly careful about what I discuss.  In that vein I have listed a few of the important concepts that are important to both the module and (in my opinion) whether or not it will be useful to you.

1.) It is historical
    This one is the easiest to ignore,  but it will take the GM some work to replace historical details with equivalent details in his world.  This also has some issues with subtlety,  with real world history you don't have to explain things.  A bible verse for instance, just IS while a verse in say the faith of "Spartacus" you'd have to give more detail on the verse and why it is important etc,  really delving into a player skill versus character skill.  Knowing the importance of historical figures can be player skill, knowing the importance of fictional historical characters that didn't exist until the GM wrote them 20 minutes ago is a bit different.   I consider this a plus, as I've mentioned this is the kind of detail and back and forth on for my fantastical earth setting.

2.) Once the players choose to buy tickets and board the train, it is a bit of a railroad
    This really depends on your version of railroad,  but an important point is still that this is a game which is all about dealing with a consequence of an action they chose to take.  At some point they choose to do something, and then spend the rest of the adventure trying to deal with that choice without much option to do anything else but react.

3.) There is a bit of whimsy that will probably never come up
       I like whimsy,  but I am going to be blunt.  I doubt this will ever come up in a game, and if it does the work involved means you will probably just ignore it or find a different mechanic.  Still it is a nice reminder that this is a game and not to take it too seriously.

4.) This is an excellent repository of non-standard magic items
     I love a good number of these and they are created exactly in the manner that I like magic items to be. Weird, dangerous and old.

5.)  The Book
    Page 42,  honestly this is something you will make a part of several campaigns and probably a half dozen Call of Cthulhu investigations.

I would recommend this as a module if you are looking for an interesting action (not combat) dungeoncrawl. This module forces the party into snap decisions so be wary if your local group of friends all suffer analysis paralysis and everyone prefers a more low key and low stress dungeon.

Edit:  A note for those concerned about bias,  there is this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment