Thursday, August 9, 2012

Upcoming LotFP adventure: Scenic Dunnsmouth

I have mentioned a few times that one of the projects I have been working on is an adventure for Lamentations of the Flame Princess: Weird Fantasy Role-Playing called "Scenic Dunnsmouth", but I wanted to wait until the grand adventure campaign was done before promoting it.

This is an adventure about isolation, paranoia, body horror, moral peril and fabulous treasure.. or at least some of those things, or maybe none of those things.  One of the key aspects of "Scenic Dunnsmouth" is that reading the module spoils little of the game play, if any.  It is always a mystery, and always playing on paranoia.

Michael Curtis, author of Stonehell Dungeon and of  the Society of Torch, Pole and Rope blog had this to say after a play test:

I had a tremendous amount of fun during my ill-fated sojourn to Scenic Dunnsmouth. It's a cunning bait-and-switch of an adventure and fellow travelers should heed my warning: Whatever you think is going on, you're wrong."

Evan from the blog "In Places Deep" (or as he prefers it to be called as often as you can In Deep Places) had the following to say:
"It has [Spoilers!]"

..thanks Evan.

Greg Backus of TrollZine and Quiet day in Heimdall says:

The first time I was genuinely frightened in a RPG session. It was the first time that I actually thought that the best thing I could do for my character was to just high-tail it out of there and not look back (I mean this as a compliment, BTW)

Still not satisfied?  How about some quotes from people you don't know and probably never will?

Totally didn't give one player nightmares  - Ryan
I wanted to rinse my uterus with bleach pretty much immediately - Mel
A good time that will haunt your nightmares - Josh
Surreal, creepy, disturbing - Gerry


Wow?  Look at those comments from people who are barely above anonymous!

Still not convinced?

Did I mention its artwork is being completed by Jez Gordon of Secret Santicore fame?

If you want to see something truly innovative with a solid horror backing,  you want this module as soon as it is released, so start ineffectively throwing wads of crumbled up bills at your monitor now to train.

3 comments:

  1. I'm hurling my credit card against the screen in an attempt to be a bit more realistic about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reynaldo Madrinan -- You make me wish blog comments had +1 buttons.

    ReplyDelete