Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Xena: Warrior Princess - No I am serious here

So flicking through Netflix and I saw in their recently added pile  "Xena: Warrior Princess".  Well,  me and the spouse decided it was time to dust off the 90's and become connoisseurs of exquisite cheese.

The first thing that hit me was the narration in the opening credits.  Having recently watched the 5 movie announcers in a limo it made me crack up to no end,  because I could picture the announcer sitting there in a fold up chair reading it from a sheet of paper (I'll link to that at the end).

I tell you, this show was a delicious ham and cheese sandwich garnished with nostalgia.  From an RPG perspective,  this is what I imagine most peoples campaigns are like.  "Medieval Europe" in the same was Xena is "Ancient Greece".  A horrible mishmash of time frames,  pop culture and hammed up to the max with cheesy dialogue and bad writing.

And it was damn amusing, even if for all the "wrong" reasons.


1 comment:

  1. From an RPG perspective, this is what I imagine most peoples campaigns are like. "Medieval Europe" in the same was Xena is "Ancient Greece". A horrible mishmash of time frames, pop culture and hammed up to the max with cheesy dialogue and bad writing.

    In the late 90s I had moved away from D&D to "better" games.

    Then one Sunday night I watched about four hours of Herc and Xena. By the time the last episode finished I had all my books spread out on the floor in front of me and I was ordering "Wilderlands of High Fantasy" off eBay.

    So, I know they remind me not only of how campaigns I played were but reminded me of just how fun they could be.

    ReplyDelete