Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Conan the Barbarian, A movie review about a great movie

So the title may be a little biased here, but after expecting all this gloom and doom about the movie I thought this was going to be garbage.

The movie was great! I mean seriously, its a great little action flick with some descent fantasy elements, maybe a bit TOO much nudity ..but that too has a certain gritty high school charm. I think I can gauge if you will like this movie based on if you liked another movie.

Van Helsing with Hugh Jackman. Did you like this action fest movie? It strayed completely away from the source material to a point where the only similarity was that the character was named Van Helsing and he fought Dracula. He also hunted down Dr.Jekyll and was a Vatican Assassin (we can only assume now, he was also a warlock due to his super age). He teamed up with Frankenstein's monster and became a wolfman to kill Dracula.

AND IT WAS AWESOME!

Maybe its just me, but I don't expect Hollywood to EVER make a faithful recreation of a book. Movies like "The Watchmen" or "Lord of the Rings" are rare, and even then they change major plot points, ones that are in many ways critical to the plot.

So if you are on the fence about Conan due to bad reviews, ask yourself if you liked Van Helsing. If the answer is yes, go see Conan. If the answer was no, then don't.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the head's up. I want it to be good - and that wanting makes me nervous. :)

    - Ark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Van Helsing is one of my guilty pleasures. I hate it on a cerebral level, but there are some things about it that make me enjoy it anyway.

    I feel the same about "Conan the Destroyer." So I'm guessing I'll enjoy the new Conan movie, even if it is disappointing on that cerebral level.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Conan the Destroyer ... nowhere near the first one, but it did have the funniest line I ever heard in the Conan series.

    Oliva d'Abo to her hulking bodyguard: "But, I've never seen a real man! All I've seen is you!"

    The guy's expression was priceless :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. TOO much nudity? Gimme a break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked it as well. I put off seeing it because of all the bad reviews but saw a few blog posts that expressed that it was better than the reviews suggested. It was no Citizen Kane but it was better than the last transformers movie y about a mile and half! It should have been about 30 minutes longer or some parts cut. There were scenes and characters I wanted to see more of or know more about. The action was good, there was gore, there was nudity, there was creepiness and a villain that was fairly well done. The scenery was well done too. I will own it on Bluray when it is available. I really hope the bad press and box office does not kill any chance of a sequel.

    ReplyDelete